Saturday, May 20, 2017

Vaginal Progesterone supplementation decreases preterm births, neonatal morbidity and mortality in women with twin gestation and short cervix: an updated meta-analysis of individual patient data

Administration of vaginal progesterone to asymptomatic women with a twin gestation and a sonographic short cervix (cervical length ≤ 25 mm) in the mid-trimester reduces the risk of preterm birth occurring at < 30 to < 35 gestational weeks, neonatal mortality and some measures of neonatal morbidity, without any demonstrable deleterious effects on childhood neurodevelopment.

The article was published online in Ultrasound in Obstetrics and Gynecology, the official journal of the International Society of Ultrasound in Obstetrics and Gynecology (ISUOG).

The meta-analysis included the results of 6 studies, encompassing 303 women pregnant with twins, all of whom had a cervical length of 25 mm or less in the midtrimester. Of these, 159 women received vaginal progesterone and 144 received a placebo or no treatment. Women who received vaginal progesterone were 31 percent less likely to deliver before 33 weeks of pregnancy (31 percent for those receiving vaginal progesterone, compared to 43 percent for those who did not). Vaginal progesterone also reduced the rate of preterm delivery before 32 weeks and 34 weeks. All results were statistically significant.

The risk of preterm birth < 33 weeks was reduced by 31% and neonatal death by 47% and also reduced the rate of respiratory distress syndrome (RDS), birth weight < 1500 g and use of mechanical ventilation.

No significant difference in the risk of neurodevelopmental disability at 4–5 years of age between children exposed prenatally to vaginal progesterone and those exposed to placebo.

“The findings represent persuasive evidence that treatment with vaginal progesterone in women with a short cervix and a twin gestation reduces the frequency of preterm birth, neonatal complications such as respiratory distress syndrome, and importantly, neonatal death,” said the study’s first author, Roberto Romero, M.D., Chief of the Perinatology Research Branch at the Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Development (NICHD/NIH). Dr. Romero emphasized that individual patient data meta-analyses represent the “gold standard” in the hierarchy of scientific evidence to answer clinical questions.

Access the full article.

Access the press release.

The accompanying videoclip by the  ISUOG summarizes the importance of research. 




1 comment:

  1. REAL CURE ON HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS AND HIV some times we just need to give a try to herbal Medicine to see for our self. I am very happy today that i do not listen to what people say if not i would have been a dead woman by now. I was infected with HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS in 2017, i went to many hospitals for cure but there was no solution, so I was thinking how can I get a solution out so that my body can be okay. One day I was in the office thinking where I can go to get solution. so a lady walked to me telling me why am I so sad and i open up all to her telling her my problem, she told me that she can help me out, she introduce me to a doctor who uses herbal medication to cure HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS, HIV, HPV and many more disease and she gave me his email, so i mail him. Doc. Chukwu madu told me all the things I need to do and send me the herbal medicine through courier delivering service and also give me instructions to take, which I followed properly. Before I knew what is happening after 2 weeks the HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS that was in my body got vanished and blister dried off . I went to the hospital for a test and it was negative. Dr.Chukwu madu is real and he is the solution to herpes virus. so if you are also heart broken and also need a help, you can also email him via his personal email. dr.chukwumaduherbalhome@gmail.com (call or whatsapp +2347030936239 according to this great DR he can also cure HIV, ALS,CANCER, COLD SORE, HPV AND DIABETES

    ReplyDelete