Thursday, May 18, 2017

Innovative, High Tech bangle to deliver pregnancy wellness tips in Asia.



A high tech, smart bangle in Asia will now deliver pregnancy tips and alert women about the presence and level of indoor air pollution, particularly carbon monoxide, a byproduct of cooking activities using wood, coal and animal dung.

Grameen Intel Social Business Ltd. has developed ‘COEL', the state of art device which is expected to improve health of pregnant women in remote and rural areas of Asia.



COEL, which stands for Carbon Monoxide Exposure Limiter can be programmed to speak 80 different messages.  In addition, it can be programmed to deliver 2 messages per week according to the gestational dating.

The messages, known as MAMA messages, have been jointly developed by Mobile Alliance for Maternal Action (MAMA) through a partnership between USAID, Johnson & Johnson, UN Foundation, the Health Alliance and BabyCenter.

The Bangle is water resistant, made of durable plastic, has a microprocessor that has the ability to process preprogrammed instruction, it does not require internet and the battery is designed to last for full 10 months.

The messages also remind the mother for her scheduled doctor visits, vaccinations and informs her about emergency visits if she suffers from blood deficiency, convulsions, and cramps.

The messages can be delivered in 80 different languages to reach women from varied cultural and ethnic background. 

If the device senses that there is a high concentration of carbon monoxide in the atmosphere, a red light will go up and flashes as an alert. It will also ask the mother to move to a safer environment or open the windows and doors so the carbon monoxide is washed away.

If the mother is in harmful environment, the device beeps and alert her to safer area.

Currently it is available in only one size that fits about 60% of women.



"In rural areas, mobile connectivity - and mobile access for women - is an issue, as phones are controlled by men," said Pavel Hoq, chief operating officer at Intel Social Business, which developed the new device.

It has already been tested successfully in Uttar Pradesh.  Grameen Intel has made available 5000 of these bangles in rural Bangladesh and is much appreciated by the rural women.

It is initially priced at $12-$15 and would be sold in India and Bangladesh first, followed by Nepal.

In Bangladesh about 70% are home deliveries with 5,000 maternal deaths and 77,000 neonatal deaths each year.

The Grameen Intel Social Business is a collaboration between Grameen Trust and Intel formed in 2009 with the sole aim of eradicating poverty and improving lives with the help of technology.

All photos courtesy: Grameen Intel Social Business


                               Coel - The Smart Bangle For Maternal Wellness



2 comments:

  1. Thank you for your tips. Sometimes I need economic advice urgently. Now I can't do everything by myself and I often use Accounting services in Hong Kong. To be honest, I don't know what I would do without it. I am literally drawing in these piles of papers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. REAL CURE ON HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS AND HIV some times we just need to give a try to herbal Medicine to see for our self. I am very happy today that i do not listen to what people say if not i would have been a dead woman by now. I was infected with HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS in 2017, i went to many hospitals for cure but there was no solution, so I was thinking how can I get a solution out so that my body can be okay. One day I was in the office thinking where I can go to get solution. so a lady walked to me telling me why am I so sad and i open up all to her telling her my problem, she told me that she can help me out, she introduce me to a doctor who uses herbal medication to cure HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS, HIV, HPV and many more disease and she gave me his email, so i mail him. Doc. Chukwu madu told me all the things I need to do and send me the herbal medicine through courier delivering service and also give me instructions to take, which I followed properly. Before I knew what is happening after 2 weeks the HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS that was in my body got vanished and blister dried off . I went to the hospital for a test and it was negative. Dr.Chukwu madu is real and he is the solution to herpes virus. so if you are also heart broken and also need a help, you can also email him via his personal email. dr.chukwumaduherbalhome@gmail.com (call or whatsapp +2347030936239 according to this great DR he can also cure HIV, ALS,CANCER, COLD SORE, HPV AND DIABETES

    ReplyDelete