Friday, May 12, 2017

ACP updates guideline for treating Osteoporosis.


American College of Physicians (ACP) recently updated it’s 2008 treatment guideline for treatment of low bone density and osteoporosis in men and women. This update is also endorsed by American Academy of Family Physicians.

The guidelines were published online May 8 in the Annals of Internal Medicine along with an Editorial by Eric S. Orwoll.

According to International Osteoporotic Foundation (IOF), 1 in 3 women over age 50 will experience osteoporotic fractures and nearly 200 million women suffer from osteoporosis worldwide.

The reviewers searched databases for observational studies, RCTs, meta-analysis and systematic review from 2 January 2005 to 3 June 2011 and added a machine learning method from 2014 to 2016 to gather and grade the necessary evidence in formulating the guidelines.

The target audience for this update is all physicians and target population is all adult men and women with low bone density or osteoporosis.

Recommendations:

1) ACP recommends that pharmacologic treatment with 3 bisphosphonates; alendronate, risedronate, zoledronic acid, or newer biologic agent denosumab is beneficial for women who have osteoporosis (T scores ≤ –2.5 or those who have experienced fragility fractures) (Grade: strong recommendation; high-quality evidence)
Raloxifene, ibandronate and teriparatide are not advocated as a first-line pharmacologic treatment. Calcitonin which is widely used in osteoporosis was not included in this guideline.
The role played by Calcium and Vitamin D supplementation is also not clear. They can be given with careful dosing strategies to avoid hypercalcemia.

2) The duration of treatment recommended for women with osteoporosis is 5 years, most studies included in the analysis continued treatment for 5 years. (Grade: weak recommendation; low-quality evidence).
Treatment beyond that period should be based on individual case evaluation.

3) Monitoring the women for bone density during the duration of treatment is not recommended as no additional treatment benefit is derived from it.
The guidelines also advise against the frequent monitoring of women with normal BMD for development of osteoporosis. Most women who have normal DXA scores are unlikely to develop osteoporosis in next 15 years.

4) The guideline also does not support the use of hormone-replacement therapy (HRT), either estrogen alone or in combination with progesterone as a treatment option in postmenopausal women with established osteoporosis.
The serious side effects such as cerebrovascular accidents and venous thromboembolism outweighs any potential benefits derived from it. Use of selective estrogen-receptor modulator (SERM) raloxifene is also not advised because of the harmful side effects.
Eric Orwoll, MD, Oregon Health and Science University, Portland, Oregon, does not agree with the ACP on issues regarding the role of HRT in osteoporosis.
He writes in an accompanying editorial "Estrogen replacement reduces fractures in postmenopausal women overall, and it is likely to do the same in osteoporotic women."
"Therefore, although estrogen should not be the first choice for osteoporosis therapy, if a woman is using estrogen for other reasons (such as menopausal symptoms), skeletal benefits can be expected without the addition of a second osteoporosis drug," Dr Orwoll further added.

5) The ACP advises the physicians to take their own decision when it comes to treatment of osteopenic women who are 65 years or older based on patients risk for fractures and her individual treatment preferences.

6) The guidelines also urged physician to prescribe generic drugs in an effort to keep the cost down, as cost is an important aspect of adherence to treatment.

Dr Orwoll further discussed the exclusion of teriparatide, an anabolic agent from the treatment guidelines. He opines that it may be a good option in case of sequential therapy.

FDA recently approved abaloparatide (Tymlos, Radius Health) similar to teriparatide for treating osteoporosis patients at high risk of fracture.

Dr Orwoll cautioned about starting the treatment based only on BMD “Clinicians should take into account more than BMD in judging risk and in guiding therapeutic decisions………….[That] is absolutely critical."

"Further, these guidelines are but one of several that exist, [and] clinicians must carefully examine the considerable differences among them," he added.

Full Text of the article in Annals of Internal Medicine can be accessed here.




4 comments:

  1. Excellent information. But I failed to underhand why there is so negative approach to use of Raloxifen. May clarify in details about ill effects of Raloxifene in details.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found it when I was looking for a different sort of information but I am very interested in the article, It is nice to read such kind of good posts.. I like your work keep it up...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am very much happy to share to every viewers that is reading this,I want to inform the whole public of how I got help for my herpes, I wanted this since 6 months ago, I have also taken treatment from some doctor,few weeks back I came on the net to see if I will be able to get any information as to cure my herpes, on my search I saw various testimony of people who was helped by a great man called Dr Akhigbe and without any hesitation, I contacted him, I wrote to him and and he guided me, I asked him for solutions and he started the remedies for me and indeed 3 weeks after I started using the medicine, I was completely happy as it worked for me.I went to the hospital for check up and indeed I was declared negative from my disease, and I also waited again for two weeks and went back to another hospital for check up to be fully sure and to my great surprise I was still declared negative, and I decided to share this great opportunity to those people out there fighting this sickness, You can contact him now for your medicine to cure your diseases, contact his Email;  drrealakhigbe@gmail.com     or     Whatsapp     +2349010754824    website. hpps:drrealakhigbe.weebly.comDr  Akhigbe also cure diseases like..
    HIV,  Herpes , Cancer,  Chronic Disease,  Asthma ,  Parkinson's disease,  External infection,  Als, progeria, common cold,  multiple sclerosis disease,   Nausea, Vomiting or Diarrhea, Heart Disease, meningitis, Diabetes,  Kidney Disease,  Lupus,  Epilepsy,   Stroke,Eczema, Erysipelas Eating Disorder,  Back Pain. Osteoporosis etccontact him for your solution.

    ReplyDelete
  4. REAL CURE ON HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS AND HIV some times we just need to give a try to herbal Medicine to see for our self. I am very happy today that i do not listen to what people say if not i would have been a dead woman by now. I was infected with HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS in 2017, i went to many hospitals for cure but there was no solution, so I was thinking how can I get a solution out so that my body can be okay. One day I was in the office thinking where I can go to get solution. so a lady walked to me telling me why am I so sad and i open up all to her telling her my problem, she told me that she can help me out, she introduce me to a doctor who uses herbal medication to cure HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS, HIV, HPV and many more disease and she gave me his email, so i mail him. Doc. Chukwu madu told me all the things I need to do and send me the herbal medicine through courier delivering service and also give me instructions to take, which I followed properly. Before I knew what is happening after 2 weeks the HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS that was in my body got vanished and blister dried off . I went to the hospital for a test and it was negative. Dr.Chukwu madu is real and he is the solution to herpes virus. so if you are also heart broken and also need a help, you can also email him via his personal email. dr.chukwumaduherbalhome@gmail.com (call or whatsapp +2347030936239 according to this great DR he can also cure HIV, ALS,CANCER, COLD SORE, HPV AND DIABETES

    ReplyDelete