Tuesday, May 23, 2017

Hysterosalpingography with oil-based contrast boosts pregnancy rates: A landmark study




Infertile women undergoing Hysterosalpingography (HSG) with an oil based contrast have a 10% higher chances of getting pregnant and continue the pregnancy as compared to women who have HSG with a water based medium reports results of a multicentric, randomized trial from Netherlands.

The study was published online May 18 in the New England Journal of Medicine and presented at the 13th World Congress on Endometriosis in Vancouver, Canada.

Looking back, the debate about superiority of one medium over other has been going on for 50 years. It is known that flushing of the fallopian tube enhances fertility, but controversy about the type of medium continues.

First HSG was carried out by Carey in 1914 and he used collergol. Lipiodol was introduced by Sicard and Forestier in 1924 and remained a popular contrast medium for many decades. Later, water-soluble contrast material was generally preferred as it avoided the possible complication of oil embolism.

A 2007 update of Cochrane review concluded that “Flushing of the tubes with oil-soluble media increases subsequent pregnancy rates in infertility patients. Clinicians should consider flushing the tubes with OSCM before contemplating more invasive therapies.”

While other smaller studies have reported that contrast does not affect the cumulative pregnancy rate.

The current study called the The H2Oil study was conducted by Professor Ben W.J. Mol along with Dr. Kim Dreyer & Dr. Velja Mijatovic from the Department of Reproductive Medicine, VU University Medical Centre, Amsterdam, and their multi-center research team from 27 hospitals in the Netherlands.

The study recruited 1,119 women who were undergoing fertility treatment and were advised hysterosalpingography (HSG). The women were randomized to a standard HSG with water-soluble contrast medium (WSCM)(Hystero) or another group which used an oil-based contrast with Lipiodol Ultra-Fluide. (LIPIODOL Ultra-Fluid 480 Injection 10 mL, GUERBET). (Ethiodol in the United States). Then couples received expectant management or the women underwent intrauterine insemination.

All women were between 18 and 39 years of age, with regular menstrual cycles, and were undergoing treatment for infertility for at least 1 year.

The primary outcome measure was positive fetal heart rate by USG at 12 weeks of pregnancy within 6 months of the HSG test. Multiple secondary outcomes were tested like positive pregnancy test by USG, live birth, ectopic pregnancy, miscarriage and pain scores by the Visual-Analogue Scale for Pain.

After statistical analysis at 6 months, it was seen that 220(39.7%) in oil-based group had an ongoing pregnancy versus 161(29.1%) in water based group (P <.001). The oil based group also had considerable more live birth rates, 38.8% versus 28.1% (P <.001).   

Professor Mol said “This means that for every ten women undergoing an HSG to test their fallopian tubes, if Lipiodol® is used for that test, there will be one more pregnancy six months later and, consequently, one more baby nine months after that.”

The groups were comparable to each other in terms of bilateral tubal patency, pain score, miscarriage rates, ectopic pregnancy, twins, stillbirth rates and median duration of pregnancy.  

“If we move to the use of Lipiodol® Ultra-Fluid for routine diagnostic tubal patency testing, more women will have a successful fertility outcome and will avoid the need for other expensive fertility treatments such as IVF. I believe that is justifiable at this point,” he further added.

Professor Mol has a personal connection with the study which came to light only when he started researching about HSG. He himself was born, after his mother underwent HSG using Lipiodol after being infertile for 9 years.  

Professor Neil Johnson, President of the World Endometriosis Society concluded “This new study from our Dutch colleagues confirms beyond doubt the fertility value of Lipiodol® Ultra-Fluid.”


3 comments:


  1. hello everyone, i am here to share my story on how conceived my baby. i have been married to my husband for years without no baby. i had problems with my in-laws about this, even my husband started to have new affairs aside our marriage. it was a very terrible thing to bear. i cried all the time , i became a laughing stock among my friends, i was now seen as always unhappy. after many infertility treatment and there is no way. i took it as i was born barren and i accepted every challenge that comes my way. i was even ready to pack out of my marital home and stay on my own because my husband was not given me any attention that i needed from him. i decided to focus on my job and try to live happy on my own. on this faithful day, i decided to check the net for updates on healthy living and i came across a story of a man called (native iya Hindi )helped to conceive a baby. i decided to put a try because this has been my greatest problem in life. (native iya Hindi made a spiritual native medicine for me and within 7 days i conceive of my daughter, today i am a proud mom. words will not be enough to explained what (native iya Hindi) did for me. pregnancy medicine for me and i am a happy mother, I know there is someone in same condition and you feel there is no way. i urge you to contact (native iya Hindi ), this is the contact email: hindinative@yahoo.com .Call/write him on Whats-app number+19145295224. God bless you

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you are seeking for reasonable cost IVF treatment then must visit Sofat Infertility & Women Care Centre, a topmost Test Tube Baby Centre in Ludhiana. Must call on our number for full information on IVF treatment and its cost, results etc. Our centre is high;y renowned in the field of IVF treatment and other infertility treatments.

    ReplyDelete
  3. REAL CURE ON HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS AND HIV some times we just need to give a try to herbal Medicine to see for our self. I am very happy today that i do not listen to what people say if not i would have been a dead woman by now. I was infected with HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS in 2017, i went to many hospitals for cure but there was no solution, so I was thinking how can I get a solution out so that my body can be okay. One day I was in the office thinking where I can go to get solution. so a lady walked to me telling me why am I so sad and i open up all to her telling her my problem, she told me that she can help me out, she introduce me to a doctor who uses herbal medication to cure HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS, HIV, HPV and many more disease and she gave me his email, so i mail him. Doc. Chukwu madu told me all the things I need to do and send me the herbal medicine through courier delivering service and also give me instructions to take, which I followed properly. Before I knew what is happening after 2 weeks the HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS that was in my body got vanished and blister dried off . I went to the hospital for a test and it was negative. Dr.Chukwu madu is real and he is the solution to herpes virus. so if you are also heart broken and also need a help, you can also email him via his personal email. dr.chukwumaduherbalhome@gmail.com (call or whatsapp +2347030936239 according to this great DR he can also cure HIV, ALS,CANCER, COLD SORE, HPV AND DIABETES

    ReplyDelete