Wednesday, May 30, 2018

ACOG update: Letrozole is the first line therapy for ovulation induction in PCOS


The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG) now recommends Letrozole (aromatase inhibitor) as the first-line treatment for ovulation induction in women with Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) due to data demonstrating increased ovulation rates, clinical pregnancy rates and live-birth rate vs clomiphene citrate. The guidelines are published as Practice Bulletin No. 194 in the June issue of Journal Obstetrics and Gynecology.

This replaces the Practice Bulletin Number 108, published October 2009, which recommends letrozole as first-line therapy for ovulation induction only in women with PCOS and a BMI greater than 30.

It is estimated that polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) affects 1 in 10 women of childbearing age and it is the most common cause of ovulatory infertility. If lifestyle modifications and weight loss are unable to achieve conception, currently clomiphene citrate (CC) is usually prescribed as the first-line treatment for ovulation induction.
  
The gonadotropin-stimulating action of letrozole has been used off-label in the treatment of patients with ovulatory dysfunction, such as polycystic ovary syndrome.

The results of recent double-blind, multicenter trial show that letrozole was associated with higher live-birth (27.5% vs 10.1%) and ovulation rates (61.7% vs 48.3%) among infertile women with the polycystic ovary syndrome as compared to CC.

Women on letrozole also had a 40% higher clinical pregnancy rate (OR 1.40 95% CI, 1.18-1.65) and 64% increased live birth rate (OR 1.64 (95% CI, 1.32-2.04) as compared to CC.

If prescribing letrozole, the starting dose is 2.5 mg/day for 5 days typically starting on day 3, 4, or 5 after a spontaneous menses or progestin-induced bleed. If ovulation does not occur, the dose can be increased to 5 mg/day for 5 days with a maximum dose of 7.5 mg/day. Doses higher than 7.5 mg/day have been associated with thinning of the endometrium as seen with clomiphene citrate.

Lifestyle modification and weight loss are strongly encouraged along with letrozole therapy.

Several studies have also shown that letrozole is also the drug of choice in clomiphene non-responders with 50–80% women ovulating on letrozole.

Letrozole and clomiphene citrate are pregnancy category X drugs, and studies have demonstrated similar rates of congenital malformation in mothers who achieved pregnancy because of ovulation induction using these drugs.

When prescribing letrozole for ovulation induction, patients should be counseled that unlike clomiphene citrate, letrozole is not approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration for ovulation induction.

More recent papers on PCOS:















9 comments:

  1. PCOS therapy a great fertility solution for hopeless couple. Great article for couple.
    endometriosis therapy Orlando

    ReplyDelete
  2. With the help of a man called Dr.Ogbes I was able to get pregnant. i'm 56years of age, it was really difficult for me to pregnant though my husband loves me but it was really hurting me not having my own child but after many years I came across Dr.Ogbes whose email address is Landofanswer@hotmail.com or you reach him direct on his cell phone number +2347050270227 he told me he is going to send me a Herbs for me to drink, and will fall pregnant a week after drinking the Herbs i'm 7months pregnant now and also I will like to advice everyone looking for help to get pregnant to contact this very man via his email address at Landofanswer@hotmail.com or call him on his cell phone number +2347050270227.

    ReplyDelete
  3. PCOD and PCOS are often used interchangeably. However, there is a difference between PCOD and PCOS is the milder form where the symptoms are mainly limited to ovaries and reproductive system. Whereas, PCOS is an advanced form, where the symptoms occur throughout the body in terms of weight gain, facial hair growth, acne, hair loss along with the menstrual irregularities. PCOS requires correct treatment, modification of diet, and lifestyle. Click on more detail.

    Difference between PCOD and PCOS

    ReplyDelete
  4. Impressive work. First line theraphy of ovulation indication.CM hospital is the best Fertility Centre in Chennai with individualized treatment and Gynecologist In Velachery will give you the best care, they are focused in your health and comfort.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ALL THANKS TO DR WILLIAMS I was diagnosed of pcos  in 2016, I have tried all possible means to get cure but all my effort proved abortive, until a friend of mine introduced me to a herbal doctor , who prepare herbal medicine to cure different kind of diseases including  pcos , when i contacted this herbal doctor via his email, he sent me the pcos herbal medicine via courier service, when i received the herbal medicine he gave me step by step instructions on how to apply it, when i applied it as instructed by Dr Williams i was totally cured from pcos within 1 months of usage. any body with similar problem can Contact this great herbal doctor via his email drwilliams098675@gmail.com for advice and for his product,and thanks to you admin for such an informative blog.    

    ReplyDelete

  6. Gomti Hospital provides all kinds of treatment to childless couples at affordable prices with excellent results. If you are suffering from PCOS and because of this you are facing difficulty in getting pregnant then must call us at 9417278732 to book an appointment with doctor.

    ReplyDelete
  7. As a sign of gratitude for how my wife was saved from PCOS, i decided to reach out to those still suffering from this.
    My wife suffered pcos in the year 2013 and it was really tough and heartbreaking for me because she was my all and the symptoms were terrible, she always complain of heavy menstruation,  and she always have difficulty falling asleep . we tried various therapies prescribed by our neurologist but none could cure her. I searched for a cure and i saw a testimony by someone who was cured and so many other with similar body problem, and they left the contact of this doctor who have the cure to  pcos . I never imagined  polycystic ovary syndrome.   has a natural cure not until i contacted him and he assured me my wife will be fine. I got the herbal medication he recommended and my wife used it and in one months time she was fully okay even up till this moment she is so full of life. polycystic ovary syndrome.   has a cure and it is a herbal cure contact the doctor for more info on drwilliams098675@gmail.com on how to get the medication. Thanks admin for such an informative blog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It was my last hope of having a child and Dr Obodo made my dreams come true. I asked for the spells, but didn’t tell my husband. We carried on trying to get pregnant as normal. I had a really good feeling about Obodo. I felt pregnant or like pregnancy was coming very about a week after the spells were cast. I began to vomit in the morning from morning sickness. I thought it was the toast. I’ve never felt like that before. And it was true! I went and grabbed the pee stick to show my husband. I went to my doctors at the earliest possible time to have a test and it came back positive. I immediately rang up my husband to let him know that the pee stick was not a false positive. He asked me how it was possible. He was certain that the pee stick was passed the expiry date. I told him all about Obodo, the fertility spells and he was amazed. We now have a very beautiful baby boy on the way and we are expecting to use Obodo in hope that I can have my baby girl. you can get in touch with doc via info ___ templeofanswer@hotmail . co . uk , call 234 8155 425481 for help

    Thank you,
    The Messer Family

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's a privilege to share this miraculous testimony to the world. I'm Beth Walters from England. My husband divorced me 4 months back and I have been filled with remorse for I didn't know what to do to amend issues with my husband. I searched for help on the internet on how I could get help in my marriage and I discovered great testifiers about WEALTHY LOVE SPELL who has been progressive with his spells. I got in touch with him and behold, Dr.Wealthy told me that he will prepare a spell for me that will bring back my husband. I was skeptical but I had no other option but to work with him. 2 days later, my husband called me that he's coming back home and from that day till this moment, we have been living peacefully. He is back now with so much love and caring. today i am glad to let you all know that this spell caster has the power to bring lovers back and the most surprising thing is that our love is very strong now, every day is happiness and joy. and There is nothing like being with the man you love. I will highly recommend Dr.Wealthy  to anyone one out there who needs help whatsoever. If you have any problem contact Dr.Wealthy, i give you 100% guarantee that he will help you!!.  

    wealthylovespell@gmail.com

    Write him on Whats-app +2348105150446

    ReplyDelete