Saturday, September 9, 2017

An effective, minimal invasive but “vastly underutilized” treatment option for fibroids: Uterine Fibroid Embolization




Statistics by National Institute of Health (NIH) indicate that nearly 3 in 4 women will develop fibroid by the time they reach age 50, but more than half of these women have never heard of Uterine Fibroid Embolization and 11% think that hysterectomy is the only treatment option available to them says the results of a Nationwide survey conducted by Harris Poll between June 23 and 27, 2017.

The survey was conducted on behalf of the Society of Interventional Radiology (SIR) and results were presented at the Society of Interventional Radiology’s 2017 Annual Scientific Meeting.

The survey of almost 1,200 women found that about one third of women did not know what fibroids are, 37% did not know anybody else with the diagnosis of fibroid, and nearly 60% did not think that they are at risk of developing fibroid.

Courtesy: Linkedin.com 

One in 5 women thought fibroids are cancerous and surgery is the only treatment option they have.

A majority of women (62%)have never heard of Uterine Fibroid Embolization, and 73% of women who knew about UFE reported that they got the information elsewhere, other than their Ob/Gyn.

As per National Uterine Foundation, nearly 600,000 hysterectomies performed annually in the United States out of which ~170,000 - ~300,000 are due to uterine fibroids. A review of published studies has shown that nearly 1 in 5 hysterectomy is unindicated and 40% of patient who have hysterectomy do not receive full information about other medical or less invasive procedures available to them. It appears that it was presented to them as the best treatment option available, says the SIR report.

James Spies, MD, MPH, a professor of radiology at Georgetown University Medical Center, Washington, DC, and the president-elect of SIR said, "Misperceptions about uterine fibroids and the treatments available often lead women to undergo invasive and potentially unnecessary surgery for their fibroids, despite more than 20 years of clinical use supporting uterine fibroid embolization.”

"Unfortunately, still many health care professionals start and end with hysterectomy as the recommendation for patients," he further added.

An NIH study showed that 165,000 more hysterectomies were performed than UFEs (167,650 vs. 2,470) nationwide, a difference of whopping 67% between the two procedures.

The study also reported that nine out of 10 women who have uterine fibroid embolization have significant improvement. Many women report their symptoms disappear completely.

UFE also helps women in getting back to normal lives quickly after the procedure, with no residual effects of early menopause and sexual dysfunction, as often experienced after hysterectomies.

It is also minimally invasive with a hospital stay of one day or less, cost effective, low rate of complications and few women require follow up treatment. If the fibroids recur, they can be again be treated: A second UFE is not contraindicated, said Dr Spies.

It’s also a great option for women desiring future pregnancies.  A study published in Radiology Journal showed a 41.5 percent pregnancy rate after an average follow-up of almost six years.

The ACOG has included UAE in its FAQs on Uterine Fibroids. The procedure was included as one of the treatment option in its 2008 bulletin, reaffirmed again in 2016. The bulletin concludes, "Based on long- and short-term outcomes, uterine artery embolization is a safe and effective option for appropriately selected women who wish to retain their uteri." 

Courtesy: SIR

UFE is performed by an interventional radiologist who inserts a thin catheter into the artery at the groin or wrist. The doctor guides the catheter to the fibroid’s blood supply where small particles, about the size of grains of sand, are released to float downstream and block the small blood vessels and deprive the fibroid of nutrients. This results in the fibroid softening, bleeding less, and shrinking in size.

Does  the push to promote UFE by SIR means promoting self-interest? No, it only means that women diagnosed with fibroids deserve to know about all the options they have and the clinicians should be able to inform them about it. 

Executive summary of survey, Full PDF, SIR news release
RCOG recommendations for UAE for Fibroids

7 comments:

  1. This is one of the most significant information.
    And i’m glad reading your article.
    The site style is wonderful, the article is really excellent).
    I am sending it to some
    buddies and also sharing in delicious. For more amazing information You may get from this link
    fibroids

    ReplyDelete
  2. I give thanks to Dr onokun for helping me get a permanent cure to Uterine fibroid. I have used different western medication without any improvement, And I could not have a child of my own. I had heavy bleeding, frequent urination, a bulky stomach, and cramping. My bleeding is sometimes so heavy that I can’t go out. I go through 9-10 pads in a day. It is so uncomfortable. I have tried everything you can imagine because I’ve had my fibroid for 18 years but none of them have really worked. They just make you feel like you’re doing something but at the end of the day its not really much of a relief. People advertise all sorts of “Fibroid Cures”. I’ve tried all that you can imagine and they worked for a little while, but it’s not working out you have to keep on going. You cant really stop taking them. I got the contact of Doctor onokun from the testimony of people on the internet, and I contacted him through the Email and explained every thing to him. then he sent me his product which I used for 2 weeks. Now am completely cured so I really want to tell this to the world that there is a permanent cure to Fibroid. contact him on dronokunherbalcure@gmail.com or whatsapp: +2349064844957 he can help on any health issues

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello everyone, just a quick note to let you all know about a herbal doctor who cured my daughter of FIBROID, his name is Dr. Uduehi.I read about him online while searching for a solution, I reach out to him for help and he administered his medication on my daughter.The multiple fibroid shrink down and her pains like: Heavy menstrual bleed, Pelvic pain, Backache and difficulty emptying the bladder gone after the treatment. She went for test and she was tested fibroid free at the hospital. doctor's contacts: (+2347084878384) (uduehiherbalcare@gmail.com)

    ReplyDelete


  4. My advice for everyone female out there is a solution to get rid of fibroids without going through surgery.Am really grateful and thankful for what @iya_hindi_root_and_herbs has done for me and my family. I Was having Fibroids for good three years with no solution, the Fibroid almost took my life and because I was unable to work and I was also loosing lots of money for medication, but one faithful day when I went online, I met lots of testimonies about this great man so I decided to give it a try and to God be the glory he did it. he cured me of my diseases and am so happy and so pleased to Write about him today. Please link him up on IG @iya_hindi_root_and_herbs: hindinative@yahoo.com Or whatsApp him via: +19145295224 visits his register website: https://iyahindinative.com/ I am very very happy for the great work he did !....

    ReplyDelete

  5. An amazing testimony on on how i conceive, also cure from fibroid, i wonder why people still don't believe that roots and herbs are very essential and fruitful in different aspect, especially when you can't conceive and bear children. I am a living witness because I tried all I could to be pregnant but all to no avail, on this faithful day, i decided to check the net for updates on healthy living and i came across testimonies of lot of women who Elikem Healing Herbal Remedies has helped with her herbs to conceive. i decided to put a try because this has been my greatest problem in life so I emailed {Elikem Healing Remedies} , and she told me what to do which i did, after which he sent me some roots and herbs syrup and gave me step by step guild lines on how and when to have sex with my man. I missed my menstrual flow within a short period of taking it, and the doctor confirmed that I am pregnant. I am very glad to tell the world that I just put to bed a bouncing baby boy last week. Contact Elikem Healing Herbal Remedies for your own testimony on: (elikemremedies@yahoo.com).

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was a useful post and I think it's fairly easy to see in the other reviews, so this post is well written and useful. Keep up the good work.Vaginal Surgeries in bangalore | Gynecologist in Bangalore |Top Gynaecology Hospitals in Bangalore|

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was diagnosed as HEPATITIS B carrier in 2013 with fibrosis of the
    liver already present. I started on antiviral medications which
    reduced the viral load initially. After a couple of years the virus
    became resistant. I started on HEPATITIS B Herbal treatment from
    ULTIMATE LIFE CLINIC (www.ultimatelifeclinic.com) in March, 2020. Their
    treatment totally reversed the virus. I did another blood test after
    the 6 months long treatment and tested negative to the virus. Amazing
    treatment! This treatment is a breakthrough for all HBV carriers.

    ReplyDelete