Tuesday, October 31, 2017

An extremely rare case of superfetation in a surrogate mother leading to legal custody issues

Jessica Allen with her family, Malachi is on the left side of screen. 

A California woman got pregnant when she was already pregnant under a surrogacy contract that resulted in ‘Twin Pregnancy’ with two different set of parents.

Jessica Allen, 31- year old agreed to be a surrogate for a Chinese couple, through a surrogacy agency in Southern California.  Surrogacy is legal in some states in US, including California, but it is illegal in China. 

In April 2016, Jessica underwent a single embryo transfer with the Chinese couple’s embryo after a successful IVF.

At six weeks of pregnancy, she was told that she is carrying twins. She was a bit scared, but the Chinese couple was thrilled. She and her partner thought that the embryo must have split into two after implantation. Her $30,000 payment, including expenses —was increased by $5,000 for the second child.

She denies that throughout her prenatal period, none of the staff and physician at the hospital told her that the babies were in separate sacs.

In December 2016, she gave births to both babies by C-section at a hospital in Riverside, California. As per her legal contract with the surrogate agency, she was not allowed to see the babies. She did briefly see a cell-phone picture and did notice that they looked different.

On January 2017, she received a message from the Chinese couple that the twins look different, along with a picture.

“They are not the same, right?” the message read, according to the New York Post. “Have you thought about why they are different?”

A DNA test soon followed and revealed that one of the twin was indeed Allen and Jasper’s biological son. Despite using condoms, she has become pregnant with her own son, after being already pregnant with the Chinese couple baby.

Courtesy: Victoria Roberts
What followed was a lengthy, expensive legal battle, but she finally won the case and got her son back in February 2017. She and Jasper renamed their newest family member Malachi, and he is now 10 months old.

Superfetation is common among mammals, but in order for superfetation to occur in humans, three seemingly impossible things need to happen at the same time: ovulation must take place during an ongoing pregnancy, sperms must somehow penetrate the blocked cervical canal with thick mucus plug and travel all the way into the fallopian tube and finally, the embryo should  successfully implant itself in an already-occupied uterus. The odds of all three of them happening together are very rare, making it an extremely rare occurrence.

A 2008 paper in the European Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecologymention that this phenomenon is so rare that only 10 documented cases are mentioned in literature so far.

A review of literature showed that superfetation is mentioned in some case of ARTs.

In the meantime, this case should be a "reason for pause and thoughtfulness" among physicians and surrogacy organization to check for superfetation in unexpected twins in a surrogate mother said Dr. Saima Aftab, medical director of the Fetal Care Center at Nicklaus Children's Hospital, who was not involved in Allen's case.

8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I'm very excited to inform everyone that I'm completely cured from my HSV 1&2 recently. I have used Oregano oil, Coconut oil, Acyclovir, Val acyclovir, Famciclovir , and some other products and it's really help during my outbreaks but I totally got cured from my HSV 2 with a strong and active herbal medicine ordered from a powerful herbalist and it completely fought the virus from my nervous system and I was tested negative after three weeks of usage. I'm here to let y'all know that HSV 1& 2 has a complete cure, I got rid of mine with the help of Dr Moses Buba and his herbal exploit, AFTER I engage with other wrong doctors. Contact him via email: buba.herbalmiraclemedicine@gmail.com or Call/WhatsApp him at +2349060529305
      thank you..

      Delete
  2. i like your post, its unique and interesting, thanks for sharing such a useful and helpful content, I am also a blogger and want you to check my work.
    My latest post: best gynecologist in dubai

    ReplyDelete

  3. An amazing testimony on on how i conceive, also cure from fibroid, i wonder why people still don't believe that roots and herbs are very essential and fruitful in different aspect, especially when you can't conceive and bear children. I am a living witness because I tried all I could to be pregnant but all to no avail, on this faithful day, i decided to check the net for updates on healthy living and i came across testimonies of lot of women who Elikem Healing Herbal Remedies has helped with her herbs to conceive. i decided to put a try because this has been my greatest problem in life so I emailed {Elikem Healing Remedies} , and she told me what to do which i did, after which he sent me some roots and herbs syrup and gave me step by step guild lines on how and when to have sex with my man. I missed my menstrual flow within a short period of taking it, and the doctor confirmed that I am pregnant. I am very glad to tell the world that I just put to bed a bouncing baby boy last week. Contact Elikem Healing Herbal Remedies for your own testimony on: (elikemremedies@yahoo.com).

    ReplyDelete

  4. I was diagnosed as HEPATITIS B carrier in 2013 with fibrosis of the
    liver already present. I started on antiviral medications which
    reduced the viral load initially. After a couple of years the virus
    became resistant. I started on HEPATITIS B Herbal treatment from
    ULTIMATE LIFE CLINIC (www.ultimatelifeclinic.com) in March, 2020. Their
    treatment totally reversed the virus. I did another blood test after
    the 6 months long treatment and tested negative to the virus. Amazing
    treatment! This treatment is a breakthrough for all HBV carriers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i almost gave up on ever getting cured of HSV2 because i have try many treatment none of them work out for me i have go to different hospital they always tell me same thing there is no cure for herpes when i came across a post about Dr OBUDU the net from a lady called Angela i contacted him and he reassured me with him herbal medicine which i took according to the way he instructed, that how i was cured. I doubted at first because I have been to a whole lot of reputable doctors, tried a lot of medicines but none was able to cure me. so i decided to listen to him and he commenced treatment, and within two weeks i was totally free from #Herpes . I want to say a very big thank you to DR OBUDU for what he has done in my life. Feel free to leave him a message on email drobuduherbalhome@gmail.com and also WhatsApp him +2349023428871.. or visit his website https://drobuduherbalhome.wixsite.com/welcometoobuduherbal
    He can still be able to help you with this herbs medicine:
    1...ALS CURE/DIABETES CURE/EPILESY/HPV CURE/LUPUS/HEPATITIS/CANCER/GOUT

    ReplyDelete