Thursday, December 29, 2016

USPSTF advises against the routine serological screening for Herpes in teens and adult.



https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8233/28295539863_f00c68a306_b.jpg

The WHO estimated that half a billion people worldwide aged 15-49 years have genital infection caused by Herpes virus. In USA, nearly one out of six people aged 14 to 49 years have it.[1]
Globally, WHO estimated that two-thirds of the population under 50 are infected with herpes simplex virus type 1.[2]


plannedparenthood.org

Genital herpes is caused by two type of viruses, Herpes simplex type1(HSV-1) and Herpes Simplex type 2 (HSV-2), a virus that almost exclusively causes genital infections.  HSV-1 is a closely related virus that causes both oro-labial herpes (“cold sores”) and genital herpes.[3]

The US Preventative Services Task Force (USPSTF) released an evidence statement and updated it’s 2005 recommendation on serological screening for genital herpes online on December 20, 2016 in JAMA and its own website.

The USPSTF recommends against routine serologic screening for genital herpes simplex virus (HSV) infection in asymptomatic adolescents and adults, including those who are pregnant.

Screening is indicated for certain high risk groups like men who have sex with men and HIV positive individuals.

After thorough review of evidence, USPSTF concluded that harms of screening outweigh the benefits because the current serological test used gives large number of false positive results and no confirmatory test is widely available.

CDC.org

Ann E. Kurth, PhD, MPH, a task force member said in a USPSTF news release “Despite genital herpes being common, testing is not generally helpful for people without symptoms, in part because early identification does not improve a person's health as there is no cure for herpes.” She further added “In addition, because current screening methods are often inaccurate, harms of screening include high false-positive rates and potential anxiety and disruption of personal relationships related to diagnosis."

Currently HerpeSelect® (Focus Diagnostics, Cypress, CA) is the most widely used FDA approved enzyme immunoassay for the qualitative detection of type specific HSV-2 IgG with sensitivity of 97 to 100% and specificity of 72 to 91%.

"Given the test characteristics of the most widely used serologic screening test for HSV-2 and a population infection prevalence of 15 percent, screening 10,000 people would result in approximately 1,485 true-positive and 1,445 false-positive results," the final recommendation statement said.[4]
False positive results lead to emotional and mental trauma along with unnecessary treatment with antiviral medications.

Diagnostic testing is indicated in persons who have recurrent HSV infection or belong to certain high risk groups like persons living with HIV infection.

The task force clarified its stand about HSV-1 infection, noting that although HSV-1 infection can be identified by serologic tests, the tests cannot determine if the site of infection is oral or genital.

The USPSTF recommends intensive behavioral counseling interventions to reduce the likelihood of acquiring a sexually transmitted infection for all sexually active adolescents and for adults at increased risk. The USPSTF has also issued recommendations on screening for other sexually transmitted infections, including chlamydia and gonorrhea, hepatitis B virus, HIV, and syphilis.

The American Academy of Family Physicians, the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG), and the CDC do not recommend routine serologic screening for genital HSV infection in asymptomatic adolescents or adults.

The AAFP released its own recommendations that mirror the USPSTF statement.
In an accompanying editorial in JAMA by  Edward W. Hook III, MD, School of Medicine, Department of Microbiology, The University of Alabama at Birmingham, calls for improving performance of new and currently available tests.

He also acknowledged the lack of progress in test performance since the last USPSTF update in 2005. “The current USPSTF recommendation should serve to renew efforts to develop better tests for HSV, to improve management strategy, and to address the pervasive and harmful stigma associated with genital herpes," he concludes.


Link to the full article -http://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2593575
Link to the accompanying  editorial -http://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/article-abstract/2593550









[1] https://www.cdc.gov/std/herpes/stdfact-herpes.htm
[2] http://www.who.int/mediacentre/news/releases/2015/herpes/en/
[3] http://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/article-abstract/2593550
[4] http://www.aafp.org/news/health-of-the-public/20161221uspstfgenitalherpes.html

7 comments:

  1. its pretty nice to hear about your blog and its post related to the positive singles, keep doing well and keep updating.....to know more about the hsv dating then click on the given link and get comprehensive information...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing this post. You can treat herpes with generic valtrex medication. This is the best online drug available which is helpful for treating herpes cold sore. So buy Valtrex online generic USA to treat your herpes now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Staying with Herpes is as easy as you think,but getting the cured seems confusing. I'm so happy because I'm free now from Herpes. I was very unhappy after the checkup and was diagnosed HSV 2 of which I know fully well I can't be cured with the Antibiotics, he prescribed for me the acyclovir(Zovirax), famciclovir (Famvir), andvalacyclovir (Valtrex). These are all taken in pill form. Severe cases may be treated with the intravenous I refuse to try it and went to another clinic for test and it still shows positive. I told the doctor about it and he said it's only by miracle and the prescribed he knows can't cure the virus by only keep fighting so it doesn't replenish always. I wasn't comfortable since I needed the cure.
    I was in a very sad moon,then I came back in two weeks and still shows the same. I tell you,does who knows understand what I'm saying.
    I'm saying this now because my believe leads me to understand that There's a CURE for HERPES.
    Of All English medicine you should know God gives us power over all living and non living creatures, don't feel bad now because I know being an Herpes patient for 3 years must have lost hope ,you can still get cure to CANCER, HPV,DIABETES, LOW SPARM COUNT,IRREGULAR OR PAINFUL MENSTRUATION, AND LOSTS HE WILL SHOW YOU AND YOU WILL FEEL THE WAY I DO NOW
    IT'S ALL I CAN DO TO HELP IF YOU LOVE TO KNOW
    Dr. Odey abang is a very reliable person, don't be scared he can proof to you what you want. Contact him and let him help get cured to all sicknesses.
    His medicine are very effective and affordable with active immune booster 100% sure no site effects
    @
    Email
    Odeyabangherbalhome@gmail.com
    WhatsApp number@
    +2349015049094

    I'm morrisons from Alaska

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a really informative knowledge, Thanks for posting this informative Information. Herpes Testing

    ReplyDelete
  6. Here is  my testimony on how I was cured of HIV by Dr Akhigbe,with his natural herbal medicine.  on a regular basis in efforts to help others when I could. As you may know, each donation is tested.  Well, on July 6th I had a meeting with a Red Cross representative and was told that I had HIV. “What went through your mind when you heard that "Rose" Good question reader! To be honest, I thought my life was over, that I would ever find love, get married, have children or anything normal. Lucky for me I have an amazing support system.  My family supported me then I never thought that I was invincible to STD s or pregnancy or anything else parents warn their kids about. I just didn’t think about it. I was in a monogamous relationship and thought that I asked the right questions.  We even talked about marriage Scary.  During that time I was in college and donated blood on a re as well. who helped me in search of cure through the media.there we saw a good testimony of sister 'Kate' about the good work of Dr Akhigbe natural herbal medicine cure.then I copied his email address and contacted him. A good herbalist doctor with a good heart, he is kind, loving and caring. He replied back to my message and told me what to do. After a week the doctor sent me my herbal medicine and instructed me how to take it.Yes it worked very well, after drinking it I went to the hospital for another test and everything turned negative. What a wonderful testimony I can never forget in my life. Dr Akhigbe is a man who gave me a life to live happily forever so all I want you all to believe and know that cure of HIV is real and herbs is a powerful medicine and it works and heals.  Dr Akhigbe also used his herbal medicine to cure diseases like:   HERPES, DIABETES, SCABIES, HEPATITIS A/B, STROKE, CANCER, ALS, TUBERCULOSIS, ASTHMA, PENIS ENLARGEMENT, MALARIA, LUPUS, LIVER CIRRHOSIS, DEPRESSION, HIV/AIDS, EPILEPSY, BACTERIAL, DIARRHEA, HEART DISEASES, HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE, PARKINSON'S, ALZHEIMER, COLD URTICARIA, HUMAN PAPILLOMAVIRUS,INSOMNIA,  BACTERIAL VAGINOSIS, SCHIZOPHRENIA, JOINT PAIN, STOMACH PAIN, CHROME DISEASES, CHLAMYDIA, INSOMNIA HEARTBURN, ,  THYROID, MAR BURG DISEASES, MENINGITIS, ARTHRITIS, BODY WEAK, SMALLPOX, DENGUE, FEVER, CURBS, CHANCRE, AND OTHERS VARIOUS DISEASES/ VIRUS.   You are there and you find yourself in any of these situations, kindly contact Dr Akhigbe now to help you get rid of it. Here is his email address:
       drrealakhigbe@gmail.com      or you can write to him on whats app with his phone number:   +2349010754824.
      My appreciation is to share his testimony for the world to know the good work Dr Akhigbe has done for me and he will do the same for you.
       

    ReplyDelete
  7. Herpes is a serious and recurring disease which can't be cured through drugs or injections by the American doctors but the best way to deal with Herpes is by taking natural herbs medicine for it, I have read about DR EDAGHONGHON the great herbalist doctor who cure me from herpes with his powerful herbal medicine. I contacted him to know how he can help me and he told me never to worry that he will help me with the natural herbs from God! After 2 days of contacting him, he told me that the cure has been ready and he sent it to me via UPS SPEED POST and it got to me after 3 days! I used the medicine as he instructed me (MORNING and EVENING) and I was cured! it's really like a dream but i am so happy! for the people suffering from the following diseases, Cancer, hypothyroidism, Herpes, COPD, HIV, Arthritis, Hpv, Infections,Liver Disease,, Autoimmune Diseases, Parkinson's disease,,Lupus and more should contact him for his herbal medicine because i am a living testimony and i was cured of herpes and his medicine is legit. I sent him what he requested and he sent me his medicine which I took for 3 good weeks and today am out here with a negative result. When I went for the test I was so happy after going through his medication. you can reach him through his email: dr.edaghonghonherbalhome@gmail.com or call whatsapp number:+2349056731866 he will help you out.

    ReplyDelete