Thursday, December 15, 2016

U.K becomes the first country to approve the controversial ‘Three Parent baby'.

Courtesy: The Sun

TheHuman Fertilization and Embryology Authority (HFEA) announced on Thursday that it is ready to give licenses to clinics for the controversial ‘Three Parent ‘IVF procedures.

HFEA chair Sally Cheshire called it “historic and important" decision to license the treatment, naming it "a world first". She further added “Today’s historic decision means that parents at very high risk of having a child with a life-threatening mitochondrial disease may soon have the chance of a healthy, genetically-related child. This is life-changing for those families. We feel now is the right time to carefully introduce this new treatment in the limited circumstances recommended by the panel.”


courtesy: You Tube 

In response to lobbying by MuscularDystrophy UK, lawmakers voted in favor of this pioneering technique in February, 2015 allowing the use of  DNA from three people to prevent children being born with certain fatal genetic diseases.

The first child born with this technique is expected to take birth at the end of 2017.

The procedure has been developed by scientists at Newcastle University.

Advocates of the new procedure say around 2,500 women could benefit from mitochondrial donation in Britain, equating to around 150 births a year as one in 200 children born in the UK have some form of mitochondrial disorder.

Prof Doug Turnbull, Professor of Neurology and director of the Wellcome Centre for Mitochondrial Research Newcastle University plans to treat 25 carefully selected patients each year.

Mutations in mitochondrial DNA are maternally inherited and are responsible for causing many debilitating disorders without definitive treatment. Diseases of the mitochondria appear to cause the most damage to cells of the brain, heart, liver, skeletal muscles, kidney and the endocrine and respiratory systems. 
 
Image courtesy:The telegraph
Mitochondrial replacement therapy, has been shown to be a novel technology in minimizing mutated mtDNA transmission from oocytes to pre-implantation embryos.

In this technique, the nucleus of an affected woman's extracted egg is removed and is put into the enucleated egg of another woman, which contains her mitochondria. The child would thus be genetically related to three people, which is why the media often refers to "three-parent babies" or "three-parent in vitro fertilization."

 These techniques have been referred to with several terms, including "mitochondria replacement," "mitochondrial manipulation," "oocyte modification," "three-person embryos," "three-parent babies," and "nuclear genome transfer" (the most technically accurate).

The procedure can be carried out in one of the two ways.
1) maternal spindle transfer (MST).
2) pronuclear transfer (PNT).


2-ways of the three-parent in vitro fertilization

The simpler of the two is called maternal spindle transfer (MST). First, doctors use standard IVF treatment to collect eggs from the mother. They then remove the nucleus from one of the mother’s eggs and transfer it into a healthy donor egg that has had its own nucleus removed. The reconstituted egg holds all the mother’s healthy nuclear DNA, or 99.8% of her genes, plus the donor’s healthy mitochondria. This egg is then fertilised with the father’s sperm and the embryo is implanted into the woman like any other IVF embryo.

The second procedure is very similar. In pronuclear transfer (PNT), both mother and donor eggs are fertilised with the father’s sperm. Before the eggs have time to split into early-stage embryos, the chromosomes inside them are removed. Those from the donor egg are discarded, and replaced with the chromosomes from the mother’s egg. The resulting egg is fertilised and ready to grow into an embryo in the mother’s womb.

Robert Meadowcroft, CEO of Muscular Dystrophy UK, responds: “Today, this historic decision will open the door to the first licensed treatments being offered to eligible women affected by mitochondrial disease. 

Families have, understandably, had to wait through years of thorough ethical, safety and public reviews. We know of many women who have faced heartache and tragedy, and the sorrow of stillbirths, while trying to start their own family, and this decision gives them new hope and choice for the first time.”

However, many have opposed the approval of the 3-parent baby.  Christian bioethics campaigner James Mildred said: "This is a dangerous step in completely the wrong direction." Another critic commented that it brings us a step closer to designer babies.

SOURCES:
The mirror,UK
Human Fertilisation and Embryology Authority (HFEA)
The Guardian
British Fertility Society
Muscular Dystrophy UK








4 comments:

  1. Hello everyone! Still don’t know the right words to express my Gratitude to the Great Dr.Ozolua After been diagnosed of HERPES 1 and 2 VIRUS in July,
    i was given so many health prescription and advice with no improvement, I totally lost hope, until i found many testimonies of Great Dr. Ozolua in
    an online research on google, Like anybody would be, I was very skeptical about contacting him, but i later did and he opened up to me and told me what
    was involved and he started the remedies for my health, i gave him a try and Thank God, i was cured from herpes permanently by the herbal medication I
    received from him true DHL delivery. I never thought that herpes can be cured, from the bottom of my heart I’m truly grateful,i still do not know how it
    was cure it highly unbelievable it just just too real to be real i pray you have long life so you can help many more people on earth with your herbal
    medical support. i advice any one that is living with herpes virus should Contact the Great Dr Ozolua today, because it has the cure to any problem
    Email him on dr.ozolua@yahoo.com or his whatsapp on +2348051421297

    ReplyDelete
  2. HOW I GOT CURED FROM MULTIPLE SYSTEM ATROPHY DISEASE..
    My name is Robert Williams, I thought i should share this here as someone may need this information; I was diagnosed of Multiple system Atrophy in February 2013, my doctor told me it has no permanent cure, i was given some medications to ease the situation, this continued till a friend of mine told me about Dr Odi from Africa who cured her father of Multiple System Atrophy disease and Glaucoma. I contacted this herbal doctor and bought the herbal medicine from him, i received it within 6 days and applied it as prescribed and was totally cured within 19 days of usage. my life is back again! Contact this herbal doctor via his email oyeyetemple@gmail.com or call +2348115531558

    ReplyDelete
  3. Staying with Herpes is as easy as you think,but getting the cured seems confusing. I'm so happy because I'm free now from Herpes. I was very unhappy after the checkup and was diagnosed HSV 2 of which I know fully well I can't be cured with the Antibiotics, he prescribed for me the acyclovir(Zovirax), famciclovir (Famvir), andvalacyclovir (Valtrex). These are all taken in pill form. Severe cases may be treated with the intravenous I refuse to try it and went to another clinic for test and it still shows positive. I told the doctor about it and he said it's only by miracle and the prescribed he knows can't cure the virus by only keep fighting so it doesn't replenish always. I wasn't comfortable since I needed the cure.
    I was in a very sad moon,then I came back in two weeks and still shows the same. I tell you,does who knows understand what I'm saying.
    I'm saying this now because my believe leads me to understand that There's a CURE for HERPES.
    Of All English medicine you should know God gives us power over all living and non living creatures, don't feel bad now because I know being an Herpes patient for 3 years must have lost hope ,you can still get cure to CANCER, HPV,DIABETES, LOW SPARM COUNT,IRREGULAR OR PAINFUL MENSTRUATION, AND LOSTS HE WILL SHOW YOU AND YOU WILL FEEL THE WAY I DO NOW
    IT'S ALL I CAN DO TO HELP IF YOU LOVE TO KNOW
    Dr. Odey abang is a very reliable person, don't be scared he can proof to you what you want. Contact him and let him help get cured to all sicknesses.
    His medicine are very effective and affordable with active immune booster 100% sure no site effects
    @
    Email
    Odeyabangherbalhome@gmail.com
    WhatsApp number@
    +2349015049094

    I'm morrisons from Alaska

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was diagnosed in November 2007 with Parkinson's Disease. I have left side tremors, balance and gait issues and some non-motor symptoms:  quiet voice, some cognitive decline, small handwriting. I am currently on Sinemet for tremors and Cymbalta for neuropathy related to diabetes and previous chemotherapy. It was on my 25th anniversary of surviving breast cancer that I got the PD diagnosis. I am 69, retired, single woman sharing a house with my sister.  I like to read, quilt, and crochet. I have been reading up on PD.  Until I read too much and it scares me.  Then I put it away until I calm down and can research it some more. I need advice and some direction. I searched further, visited Parkinson’s websites, blogs. I find info about someone having the same symptoms. I was really determined. Fortunately for me, I stumbled on a testimony of someone who had Parkinson’s for several years and was cured through Herbal medication. I read awesome stories of people whose condition were worse. I was not a fan of Herbal Medication, because I once believed that they have not researched it enough. But due to numerous testimonies  I was more than willing to try it…. I contacted  Dr. Fabien, and I purchased the medicine and used just the way doctor instructed. Its a thing of joy to come back and make my review.. It became a miracle for me within 7 months. The herbal medication worked without any trace of side effects on I’m…. totally free. I have been cured for Parkinson’s. I was a shocking experience with the medicine. I never knew I will be free for Parkinson’s disease.  Email dr.fabiencontantin@gmail.com or www.kunimeherbs.com

    ReplyDelete