Wednesday, July 18, 2018

Vaginal cleansing with antiseptic solution before cesarean section brings down postoperative infection: Cochrane review


A simple and inexpensive intervention of vaginal cleaning with the chlorhexidine-based or iodine-based solution immediately before cesarean section probably reduces the risk of endometritis after the procedure. The benefit could be more for women who underwent cesarean section while in labor or after rupture of membranes reports the results of a Cochrane review published 17 July 2018.

The current review is the fifth update on vaginal preparation before cesarean section and risk of subsequent infection by Cochrane; the first review was published in 2010 and subsequently updated in 2012, and twice in 2014.

Cesarean section is the most commonly performed operation in obstetrics, with 1 in 3 babies being born by cesarean section. Nearly 25% of women have endometritis and 10% of women develop skin infection after C-section.

Pre-op or intra-op antibiotic prophylaxis has not been able to bring down the rate considerably.

The Cochrane researchers searched the Cochrane Pregnancy and Childbirth’s Trials Register, the WHO International Clinical Trials Registry Platform (ICTRP) (10 July 2017), ClinicalTrials.gov, and reference lists of retrieved studies.

The review included 11 trials with a total of 3403 women in whom vaginal preparation was done immediately before the start of the cesarean section. Most of the trials used Povidone-iodine (n=8), while the rest used chlorhexidine (n=2) and benzalkonium chloride (n=1).

The control group included women with no vaginal antisepsis preparation (eight trials) or those in whom saline vaginal preparation (three trials) was used.

Vaginal preparation with the antiseptic solution immediately before cesarean delivery probably reduced the risk of endometritis by 64% (average risk ratio (RR) 0.36, 95% confidence interval (CI) 0.20 to 0.63).

It was not possible to separately analyze the risk reduction in a subgroup of women who were in labor or in women whose membranes had ruptured when antiseptics were used. 

Risk of postoperative fever or surgical wound complications may also be brought down by the use of vaginal antisepsis, but the confidence interval around the effects for both outcomes was very wide consistent with insufficient data.

Composite outcome of wound complication or endometritis was reduced by 54% in two trials consisting of 499 women (RR 0.46, 95% CI 0.26 to 0.82).

No adverse effects were reported with either the povidone-iodine or chlorhexidine vaginal cleansing.

The quality of evidence using GRADE was moderate for all reported outcomes. The authors downgraded the outcome for post-cesarean endometritis and composite of wound complications or endometritis because of bias in the involved study and broader CI.

The recommend that healthcare providers may continue using vaginal antisepsis preparation by either using povidone-iodine or chlorhexidine before performing a cesarean delivery.




4 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing. It should be a routine procedure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am Paul green from us Los Angeles, California,
    Gratitude for how my wife, and my mother were saved from fibroid,

    I decided to reach out to those still suffering from (FIBROID). My wife, and mother have suffered from fibroid especially, my wife for more than 5 year of marriage after our first son and it was really tough and heartbreaking for me because she was my all and the symptoms were terrible, she had irregular and painful menstrual flow and the size of it was 5cm, and she always complains of stomach pains, we tried various therapies prescribed by our neurologist but none could cure her.
    I searched for a cure and i saw a testimony by someone who was cured and so many others with similar body problem, and she left the contact of the doctor who had the natural cure to fibroid.
    I never imagined fibroid has a natural cure if not surgery not until I contacted him and he assured me for my wife, and my mother will be fine. I got the herbal medication he recommended and my wife and my mother used it as instructed by Dr. Gregory Solomon, and in one months’ time we went to the hospital for scan and the doctor confirmed that there is no trace of fibroid in their BODIES AGAIN and NOW MY WIFE, AND MOTHER is fully okay and well healthy, even up till this moment there is so much full of life. Fibroid has a cure, please contact Dr. Gregory Solomon
    Dr. Gregory Solomon is only one who will cure fibroid, contact him as quick as you need to be cured from this bad disease.
    I love you all that’s why I am giving out this testimony

    Email: drgregorysolomon8@gmail.com

    Call/WhatsApp on: +2298010613

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'M TOTALLY FREE FROM HERPES VIRUS
    Herpes is a serious and recurring condition that cannot be cured by drugs or injections by USA Doctors. But the best way to fight and get rid of  herpes virus permanently is to take natural herbal remedies, I red about DR JAMES, the great hebal Doctor, who cures people of HIV virus with his powerful herbal medicine. I contacted him to find out how he could help me and he told me never to be worried that he would help me with the natural herbs medicine! After 2 days of contacting him he told me the medicine is ready and he sent it to me via DHL COURIER SERVICE and it got me in 3 days! I used the medication as he prescribed for me (MORNING and EVENING) and I was cured! It's really like a dream, but I'm so happy! For people suffering from the following diseases Eczema,Shingles,MS,Bullous Pemphigoid,Diabetes, cancer,Pcos, hypothyroidism,vaginal rashes, Herpes, COPD, HIV, arthritis, Hpv, liver disease, autoimmune diseases, Parkinson's disease, Lupus and more should contact him for his herbal medicine, because I am a living witness and I was cured of herpes virus. and DR James medicine is legitimate. I sent him what he asked for and he sent me his medication which I took for 2 weeks and today I am here with a negative result. When I went for the test, I was so happy after I took his herbal mix medicine.CONTACT DR JAMES FOR A PERMANENT CURE Email: drjamesherbalmix@gmail.com
    He's a good man and he will help you

    ReplyDelete